Research and Data
Disability and Health
Websites of Interest
- American Academy of Developmental Medicine and Dentistry opens a new window
- Continuing Education: Practical Oral Care for People With Developmental Disabilities opens a new window
This two-hour web-based course is offered by the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research
- Dental Education in the Care of Persons with Disabilities (DECOD) opens a new window
This clinic at the University of Washington School of Dentistry provides dental care for people with developmental and acquired disabilities.
- Developmental Disabilities and Oral Health opens a new window
information and resources from the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research
- International Association for Disability & Oral Health (iADH) opens a new window
iADH are an international network of people who are concerned about those with disabilities and disadvantages, working together with those in their community, professional society and social or service organization to improve the oral health and quality of life for persons with special needs.
- The Journal of the American Dental Association opens a new window
- Special Care Advocates in Dentistry (SAID) opens a new window
SAID is the only organization in the United States that provides a focus on the dental needs of clients who live in institutions, as well as those who live in the community at large.
- Special Care Dentistry Association opens a new window
An organization of oral health professionals and other individuals who are dedicated to promoting oral health and well-being for people with special needs.
- Special Olympics Health Athletes Program opens a new window
This program addresses the issue that many people with intellectual disabilities have unique issues around health care and communicating their needs.
- Special Smiles opens a new window
The Special Smiles discipline of Healthy Athletes provides comprehensive oral health care information, including offering free dental screenings and instructions on correct brushing and flossing techniques to participating Special Olympics athletes.
- Improving Access to Dental Services for Individuals With Developmental Disabilities. (PDF) opens a new window
Taylor, M. Legislative Analyst’s Office (LAO) Report. September 2018.
- Adding a Dental Benefit to Medicare: Addressing Oral Health Inequity Based on Disability. (PDF) opens a new window
Christ, A., Goldberg, J. Justice in Aging. Issue Brief. October 2020.
- Making the Case for Dental Coverage for Adults in All State Medicaid Programs. (PDF) opens a new window
Vujicic, M., et al. Health Policy Institute White Paper. American Dental Association in partnership with Community Catalyst and Families USA. July 2021.
- Improving Access to Oral Health Care for Adults with Disabilities Can Improve Their Health and Well-Being. (PDF) opens a new window
FamiliesUSA.org Issue Brief. September 2019.
- Oral Healthcare for Persons With Intellectual or Developmental Disabilities: Why Is There a Disparity? (PDF) opens a new window
Milano, M. Compendium. Volume 38, Issue 11. Nov/Dec 2017.
- The oral health status of 4,732 adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. opens a new window
Morgan, J., et al. Journal of the American Dental Association, 2012. 143 (8):838-46
- Research in developmental disabilities dental care among young adults with intellectual disability. opens a new window
Kancherla V., Van Naarden Braun K., and Yeargin-Allsopp M. Research in Developmental Disabilities.2013; 34: 1630-1641
- Barriers in access to dental services hindering the treatment of people with disabilities: a systematic review. opens a new window
da Rosa, S.V., et al. International Journal of Dentistry, vol. 2020, Article ID 9074618, 17 pages, 2020.
- Oral health of adults with intellectual disabilities: a systematic review. opens a new window
Ward, Laura M., et al. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research63, no. 11 (2019): 1359-1378.